petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog is shacking like she is scared stagering and gose to

Customer Question

my dog is shacking like she is scared stagering and gose to fall over and weeing like when shes walking around
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no no wounds she is more like a house dog
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: spot-lee 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spot-lee?
Customer: she seems confused as well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Spot-lee today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Can you tell me for how long this has been going on?

Is it possible that she may have gotten into something she shouldn't have?

Has she had a recent meal?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She had some sausages and a bit of chicken keiv
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She has been like this for about 4 hours
Expert:  petdrz. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

At first I thought it might be a seizure that you were describing, but that doesn't usually go on for 4 hours. The signs definitely sound neurologic and in a young dog, the most common cause of a prolonged neurologic event as you describe would be a liver shunt. This occurs when toxins build up in the bloodstream because it is bypassing the liver and the liver is not filtering them out. The symptoms are often more pronounced after a higher protein meal. Here is a link with more information about shunts in dogs. LINK HERE

I would definitely recommend that you have Spot-lee examined for this and since this has been going on for so long already today, it would be best to consider a veterinary ER for evaluation. Hepatic encephalopathy, if this is what is occurring, is very severe and can be fatal.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.