Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 3 year old female just got locked up with her one year

Customer Question

My 3 year old female just got locked up with her one year old brother they have the same mother but different fathers what do I have to expect I am very upset about the situation my name is TAMMI
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Are female her name is ***** ***** is 3 years old her mother name is "NAUGHTY". Oreo is in heat she has been in heat for approximately a week and a half and we have her I guess it's half brother his name is ***** ***** he is a year and two months old and my daughter just found them locked together in the yard. Dudley has a different father but the same mother naughty
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

Hi Tammi,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

While mating too dogs with a close relationship like half siblings can result in some issues for the pups, the pups might aslso be perfectly normal with no behavioral or physical issues. You will have a higher chance of deformities or behavioral issues if any of the mother's ancestors are also closely related to one another. You will need to be prepared in case there are issues with the pups, but they will likely be fine. I would notify any potential new owners of the pups that they do share a common grandmother just so they know that.

Now vets have a mismate shot but the side effects in my opinion are worse than allowing the female to have the pups. Often a female will end up with a uterine infection as a result of the injection and end up needing spaying. You can have her spayed right after her heat cycle before any pups are well developed and avoid the litter that way. In some cases, vaccination will lead to a dog reabsorbing pups as well but you can not count on that to prevent this pregnancy from going full term.

At this point, you have just a few options. If you plan on breeding her in the future, you could have the mismate shot given but have the chance of her needing an emergency spay if she develops a uterine infection (pyometra) which isn't caught early enough or doesn't respond to antibiotics if caught early. The second option is going ahead and spaying her right after she is finished the heat cycle. This effectively gets rid of the pups early in the pregnancy and prevents future pregnancies. The other option is letting her continue with the pregnancy and having the pups.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?