Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Dog is staggering and will only drink water...took her to

Customer Question

dog is staggering and will only drink water...took her to the vet yesterday and they provided ear infection drops as well a pill for vomiting....dog has not eaten in 3 days only drinks water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she's a shih tzu 4 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Was she vomiting before the medications?

Do you know the name of the vomiting pill they gave you?

Is her head tilted at all?

Will she eat something like cheese, ect, if you hand offer it to her?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cerenia is the pill....she will not eat anything...just drinks water. Head tilts sometimes. She has vomited once before the medication
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

Do you know when the last time she ate was?

Is she urinating/defecating normally?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Last time she ate was Wednesday. She is urinating fine...last time she defecated was Wednesday
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The good news is that she's still drinking. Dogs can't survive without drinking for more than a few days, but they can go weeks without eating, so the fact that she's still willing to drink is actually a good thing.

That being said...we definitely need to see if we can prompt her to eat a little something, so what I'd do is rub a little Karo syrup or honey on her gums. Sometimes that little boost of sugar will give them a bit of energy and make them realize that they're actually pretty hungry. You can also go out and pick up some soft dog food (if she doesn't already get it) and warm it up in the microwave a little. Dogs tend to really be enticed by things that smell strongly, so warming up the food will make it smell stronger, and might make her want to eat it.

Since she's still willingly drinking, you could also try mixing some soft food in with a good amount of water and offering it to her. It will give her a bit of nutrition even if she's not actually eating anything.

I would expect that she'll be tempted by one of those things...but if she still hasn't eaten by tomorrow, it might be time to take her in to the emergency vet, just to be on the safe side. If you're not sure where one is near you, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

I hope this helps.