Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My boxer has head tilt plus balance problem plus he has been

Customer Question

My boxer has head tilt plus balance problem plus he has been collapsing what is this he has had c scan
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

How long has he had these signs?

What did the CT show?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About 10 months of the head tilt he takes acid tabs as well but the collapsing not long
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He had order in eye caused by strong streids
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Ok.

My guess would be that there is a brain tumor or he had a stroke to the brain stem. These, along with Vestibular disease, are the most common causes of head tilt in dogs.

Vestibular is a disease where we usually don't know the cause. It comes on suddenly and then goes away on it's own over 7-14 days. If he was incoordinated and then got back to normal other than the head tilt, I would call it Vestibular. Some dogs will have a residual head tilt. It doesn't cause any issues and they live normally.

If he has had chronic or progressive neurologic signs, then I would think of a brain stem tumor or stroke to the brain stem. You really need an MRI to see these. Sometimes a CT will show it, but strokes are not easy to see on CT. That is where an MRI is needed.

The treatment for tumors is radiation therapy or meds to bring down the swelling around the brain. Ultimately, they are fatal tumors. If a stroke, we can see some improvement over 2-4 weeks. After that time, the neurologic function remaining is usually as good as they'll ever get.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing on ct s
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

An MRI would be preferred, but I'm glad the CT is normal.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

I would consult with a veterinary neurologist and get their take on things, as this is not the typical presentation for vestibular or stroke or brain tumor.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We do think there is perhaps a tumor hope we are wrong he is going to have a mri next week thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

The MRI will give you some definitive answers. I also think a brain stem tumor is the most likely, I'm afraid.