Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Have a eight yorkie poo puppy her heartbeat is really fast

Customer Question

have a eight yorkie poo puppy her heartbeat is really fast and has a wet cough once in a while. when i got her she was in cage and wet and cold.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she is very active eats good just worried about the cough she has once in a while its not real bad but sounds like when you have sinus drainage and her heart beat worries me
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. A puppy this small is naturally going to have a faster than normal heartbeat. At rest, I wouldn't expect it above 120 beats per minute. If she is having problems breathing, that can cause it to be faster because she is having a harder time oxygenating her tissues. The wet cough does worry me more, though. It could be a mild pneumonia. If that is the case, she would have problem oxygenating very well. With a puppy this small and young, I would recommend getting her into the vet ASAP. Hopefully it is just an upper respiratory infection, but if they suspect pneumonia, they will want to do x-rays and get her on antibiotics ASAP. Puppies this young and small can decompensate very quickly. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Hi Mary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John