Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I have an 11lb Pomeranian. He's been diarrheaing on s Orijen

Customer Question

I have an 11lb Pomeranian. He's been diarrheaing on his Orijen dog food. So I put him on chicken and rice for a week and tried him on a new bag of Orijen adult. Some diarrhea returned, and I plan to test a few other types of dog food. Any advice?
Furthermore, the last few nights he has started throwing up white foam with a loud honking sound (pretty reasonably sure it's not tracheal collapse). I gave him 10 mg of Pepcid, and it seems to work within 15-20 minutes. He gets perky again. Is this a long term solution? Or should I do something else?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem. I will need a bit more information to help you better.

How old is your dog?

Is your dog up to date on vaccines?

Does your dog take monthly parasite prevention (heart worm medication every month)?

Do you think your dog ate anything it should not have: people food, trash, clothing, etc?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Please feel free to reply back when you are available. I will stand by and await your responses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's 4 yrs old, his vaccines are up to date except possibly kennel cough. However he has not had contact with other dogs in about 3 weeks and the vomiting started only in the last 72 hrs. Generally nothing is produced except white foam.Now, the diarrhea started 3 weeks ago after coming back from the groomers (he was fine before then). I wondered if maybe there was a flare up of giardia from shared water bowls...I have been giving him the HARTZ heartworm tabs but I've missed the last month and I know they've been expired for a while. I didn't really worry because I'm disabled and have not been able to take him out much (which of course is not great, but it has kept him quarrentined) I know that he has not eaten anything he shouldn't have--just boiled chicken and rice with pumpkin purée for fiber (no flavoring). A tiny bit of salt in the food for electrolytes. Oh! And he has eaten rawhide. He did swallow a large chunk the day before yesterday 24 Feb before I could get it away from him but he just this minute passed a stool and oddly enough this one looks firm and normal. That has happened occasionally in the last 3 weeks where he'll have terrible diarrhea and then inexplicably have a normal one butttt (except for the time period in which I fed him chicken/rice) he always went back to diarrhea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction--the day he swallowed the piece of raw hide (perhaps between the size between of a quarter or a silver dollar) was on 23 Feb
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I see. Thank you for your reply.

It sounds like he might just have a bit of upset stomach (gastroenteritis). This could have been due to the rawhide ingestion (i see this quite frequently as a cause of upset stomach, especially if they swallow a big chunk) as this can cause irritation in the stomach and intestines. I would try to stay away from the rawhides for a couple weeks to let the GI tract get back to normal. Giardia is indeed a possibility as are other intestinal parasites. Heart worm medication prevents most of the major intestinal parasites, but does not cover giardia. If the diarrhea comes back in full force, a stool sample check by your vet is recommended. In the short term, you can give famotidine (pepcid AC) at 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet every 12 hours to try to help with nausea and upset stomach. You can give this medication longer term if needed, but I usually have you start with about 3-5 days and go from there. As far as diarrhea is concerned, a teaspoon of pepto bismol every 12 hours for 1-2 days may be helpful. Continue with the chicken and rice until everything is back to normal. If there is not a big improvement by Monday, I recommend seeing your regular vet. If there is any blood in the stool or in the vomit, you should see your vet as soon possible.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if all of that makes sense to you and if I can help you any further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, there was blood in his still maybe 3 times in 7 different bowed movements, however that was 3 weeks ago and no blood in the last 2 weeks... I should also mention I had to relieve his anal glands 3 weeks ago (the bloody stools occurred from before I expressed his anal glands). The discharge was thicker and darker than normal, almost like mud, but his anal gland function now appears normal and self expressing. Any input?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in his stool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think the vomiting and diarrhea are connected?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Anal gland issues can be allergy related, diet related, and for many toy breeds it is breed related. They may or may not be playing a role here. Loose stool can sometimes cause anal gland issues and full anal glands can sometimes cause straining to defecate and disrrhea. The vomiting and diarrhea are most likely related to the same problem. Typically with a bad enough upset stomach we see them both together. This is very common.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

If there is excessive licking at the anal glands and excessive scooting, there may be an anal gland abscess forming, however it does not sound like that is the case.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I would just continue monitoring the anal glands for now.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else i can help you with today?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in and see if you had any questions. Please let me know if I can help you any further. Otherwise, please feel free to accept this conversation and leave positive feedback. Thank you and have a wonderful rest of your weekend.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in again as I haven't heard from you and you have not accepted and rated this conversation. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time.

I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!