Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is wheezing and vomiting and couching coughing, i

Customer Question

my dog is wheezing and vomiting and couching coughing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: i dont know
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: not that i can see
JA: Is your dog eating normally?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: but she vomited it up
JA: How is your dog behaving differently?
Customer: she is coughing vomiting and wheezing
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angel and she is about 2 years old
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?
Customer: sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she been showing signs?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

You noted trying to make her throw up, did she eat anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no diarrhea and as far as her eating something she shouldn't have, I'm not sure. She acts like she is cocking and breaths softly not at all like her normal breathing. She started this last night about 30 minutes before we found this site. Her gums are nice and pink but I I'm not sure if her stomach hurts. She just sits still with her head hanging and eyes droopy while I touch her stomach.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She went to sleep last night and vomited again and every like 30 minutes she would wake up and make a sound like she was chocking for about 2 minutes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Do you think she is breathing faster then normal (>30 breaths in a minute)?

What did you mean by her acting like she is "cocking" did you mean choking?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I meant choking and I can't tell because she is breathing slow and soft.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

First, its good that her gums are pink despite the wheezing, coughing, and choking you reported. In that case, I suspect all of those signs are due to inflammation of her esophagus secondary to her vomiting. So, if we can soothe her stomach and halt her vomiting, we should be able to reduce those for her too. And I would note that breathing slowly isn't as much a worry as fast as long as she isn't collapsed here.

Now at her age, we do have a few concerns for the signs we are seeing. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). Now hopefully she didn’t eat anything she should not have, but if we aren’t sure about that or Angel’s belly comfort; then we do need to keep a close eye on her and check the house for any hints of anything she may have chewed or eaten.

Otherwise, as long as she isn’t constantly vomiting, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Alternatively, we could use Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 8 hours) for her either with one of the above or instead. The bonus of this antacid is that it’s a liquid and will coat her throat to reduce that irritation for her. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing but those other signs sound like a secondary esophagitis. Therefore, in Angel's case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants for her throat, gut safe pain relief +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )