PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 15 year old toy poodle female is constantly licking her

Customer Question

my 15 year old toy poodle female is constantly licking her genitals I noticed white drippings in her bed an o the floor she licks it up she looks swollen under her tail
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the toy poodle's name?
Customer: sugar
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?
Customer: yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, thanks for your question. It looks like the professional that you were hoping to speak with us not available, so I have stepped in to assist so you can get a faster response to your question.

Is Sugar laying down while dripping?
Do you see any blood in the drippings or on her bed?
How often does this happen?
Any increase in water consumption?
Is she currently on any medications?
Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every day for 10 days, yes, no, no but never mated never had pups
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered your questions

Thanks for the additional information.

There are four things to be concerned about here:

1) A urinary infection
2) Vaginitis
3) Weakened muscles causing urine to leak from her bladder
4) Pyometra (infected uterus)

Because what you're seeing is white, we have to worry that it's pus, but that does not necessarily rule anything out. For this reason, the two higher potential problems are vaginitis and pyometra. The swollen vulva makes me more suspicious of a vaginitis, but testing will need to be performed to figure out what is going on. Unfortunately, this isn't something that can be treated at home.

The best thing to do is to arrange a physical exam with your vet to run a urinalysis, possibly take a vaginal swab, run some lab work and also possibly some x-rays. In the case of a urinary tract infection, we will see bacteria and possibly crystals, as well, in her urine. Lab work can help us determine if there is a more concerning infection within her body, often outside of the bladder such as her uterus. X-rays may be needed if a pyometra is suspected, and can help rule out urinary stones. Depending on the results of the diagnostics will determine what type of treatment is needed. In the case of a urinary tract infection, antibiotics are often prescribed and may also include a change in diet if she has urinary crystals or stones. Antibiotics are often prescribed for pets with vaginitis, as well. Dogs with weakened muscles (especially older females) are often placed on medication like Proin to help with tone (we usually see this in spayed females, but not always). The pyometra, finally, is the most concerning of all because it can be a life-threatening concern. If she's leaking pus from her uterus, it means that she has an "open" pyometra. At her age, the best solution is to spay her (there's more risk in not spaying her than in spaying her, typically) and a heavy duty course of antibiotics is also used.

More info on all these conditions:

Urinary tract infection: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/urinary/c_dg_lower_urinary_tract_infection_bacterial

Canine vaginitis:
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vaginitis-dogs-simple-approach-complex-condition

Muscle weakness/urinary incontinence:
https://www.vetinfo.com/bladder-weakness-in-dogs.html

Canine pyometra:
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/canine-pyometra-early-recognition-and-diagnosis

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time with each customer. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.