Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** ***** My issue is I have notice that lately

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** My issue is I have notice that lately my dog has been sleeping a lot and snoring very loudly at all times of the day
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog is a Shizuoka and she is 10 yrs old
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Somnolence (sleepiness) is a non-specific symptom that may indicate either a medical condition or simply a lazy dog. A 10 years of age I would expect your Shizuoka to slow down but her snoring may be a clue that an age-related medical problem has arisen. Snoring (stertor) indicates partial obstruction of an airway above the level of the larynx and is caused by vibrations of tissues of the nasopharynx, pharynx, or soft palate. It would be prudent to have her vet visually inspect your dog's upper airways for obstructive lesions (tumor, polyp) as well as laryngeal paralysis and overly relaxed or flabby tissues. Testing such a dog for hypothyroidism should be considered as well.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.