Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

About my mini daushund, She has been crying and thrown up

Customer Question

about my mini daushund
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has been crying and thrown up maybe three times tonight. Now she just is digging with her feet in her bed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What did her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't ate anything today she shouldn't have. Her vomit is clear with kind of white foam on top. No diarrhea. Her gums are pink maybe a little sticky a little moist. She wants to drink water but everytime she seems to, she throws it up. Does seem to have any pain or discomfort when I press on her belly, however she has just been crying off and on throughout the night. Last time she threw up was about midnight and she recently just woke up and threw up again at 3:45. Before that she has been sick from about 10-12! She is a mini daushund who is also at the end of her heat cycle.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that your lass isn't likely to have eaten anything harmful. Though if her belly is sore and she is so nauseous that she cannot even keep water down, then we do need to tread with care. This is because that discomfort could be a hint of severe gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or a dietary indiscretion. Furthermore, nausea this severe often is a sign we need to bypass their mouths with injectable anti-vomiting treatment from their vets.

That said, there are some home supportive options you can try to soothe her stomach. Since she has just vomited, we'd need to start by resting her stomach for a few hours. Food should be withheld and water only offered as sips or as ice cubes for the next few hours. Once she is a bit more settled, we can try her with an OTC oral antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And again if she cannot keep that down, then we'd want her vet to treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Though if she can, then we can plan to start her with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Otherwise, since those sticky gums are an early warning sign of dehydration creeping in, we'd want to monitor her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, we do have a few concerns for the signs she is showing. Since toxicity and foreign body ingestion are unlikely, we can try resting her stomach and then using the above. Though if she cannot keep that down or isn't settled within the next few hours (since she is a small dog and already a bit dehydrated), then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no extra charge to do so). If you have any lingering questions, please just let me know. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)