PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dogs face is swollen.. And I can't get to a vet until

Customer Question

My dogs face is swollen.. And I can't get to a vet until Friday. I believe it's her teeth ( because her breath is awful and she has already lost a few teeth) but she seems to be in pain and I don't know what to do!
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 12 months ago.

Hi Morgan. I'm so sorry to hear that your girl is not well. Do you happen to have a picture of the facial swelling you're seeing? You can load the pic here or upload to a site like photobucket and share the link back. I want to be sure it's her teeth and not an allergic reaction.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Here are a few

You're right. This definitely looks like her mouth is hurting. There aren't a huge number of things you can do at home, but you can certainly make her comfortable until your vet can see her Friday. To help with discomfort, here is info on using aspirin. Make sure you know her weight and use the right dosage, you don't want to prevent your vet from using medications to help her come Friday. https://flexpet.com/aspirin-for-dogs-what-you-need-to-know/. You can also feed her either canned dog food, kibble softened until it's mushy or chicken baby food without onion or garlic until she can be seen Friday. She should be able to lap these up fairly easy and avoid chewing, avoiding more pain. If she will permit it, a cool compress may be appreciated on her muzzle.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you!

You're very welcome. If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave a positive rating for me. This is how experts receive compensation for their time with each customer.