Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have an almost 3 year old Havashire (1/2 havanese 1/2

Customer Question

I have an almost 3 year old Havashire (1/2 havanese 1/2 Yorkshire terrier). We recently brought a new Havashire puppy (3 months old now) from the same mother and father home. Brought the puppy home January 16. My older dog was at first okay with the puppy; playing etc. all of a sudden within the last week (so 4-5 weeks later) she keeps hiding in her crate and seems uncomfortable around the puppy. My first dog is 6 lbs and the puppy is already. 4 lbs so is almost as big. The puppy of course wants to play. Jumping and wrestling with my older dog. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

It is perfectly normal for an older dog to become overwhelmed with a puppy. It's like an elderly person having to constantly entertain a toddler. It gets to be too much after a while.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

I am going to suggest you get the pup interested in some interactive dog puzzles and do some training during the day a few times a day so the pup can expel some of the mental stimulation. Then play a few rounds of fetch to physically wear the pup out. Give your elder dog some alone time by gating the puppy off in a different room from time to time.

Mind stimulating toys can be found on Amazon by typing in Dog puzzles/

Below is a link for positive obedience training. Once your older dog sees you have some control over the pup she may spend more time out of the crate.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm