Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dachshund ate a preserved unvarnished seahorse that is

Customer Question

My dachshund ate a preserved unvarnished seahorse that is about 50 years old. Is this cause for concern?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dachshund will be able to digest that. Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?
Customer: sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

I can't imagine that the seahorse contains or is covered with anything that could harm your doxi and I expect that he macerated it well which should remove the possibility of the seahorse obstructing his gastrointestinal tract. The only therapy I would consider is adding psyllium seed (Metamucil) to an extra canned food feeding now at a dose of 1 teaspoon of the psyllium seed and then again at his next feeding. The psyllium seed will act as a coating agent around the seahorse pieces and also as a bulk laxative facilitating the seahorse's passage through his GI tract.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I gave her pumpkin this morning to act as a coating agent. I will find some psyllium seed. She trys to eat everything! Thanks!

Canned pumpkin can act as a bulk laxative. It was a good idea! You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?