Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I 't really know what's wrong since this morning she's been

Customer Question

I don't really know what's wrong since this morning she's been acting really strange and walking very slow. She eats's drinks water and it seems she's either hurt or can not walk or run fast like she uses to. I was going to take her to my vet today but I didn't have much time with school and work. I just recently I try to put her on the couch but she had some difficulty getting up on. I put her outside to use the bathroom but now she doesn't want to come back inside the house.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** I do not know her exact age. I have recently got her back from my ex-partner and she was health but this problem just started this morning, she didn't even want to take a walk either which weird because she loves her walks. well thank you
JA: How old is Smokey?
Customer: In human years she about 8 or 9 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smokey?
Customer: When I got her back, my ex-partner did mention they did surgery on her to remove some kind tumor on her back but I didn't get any of that paperwork unfortunately.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Given the signs, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis.

Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI, CT or myelogram.

Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:
> Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.
> Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct.

It sounds like your dog will do fine with the more conservative management.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.