PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 10 year old dog has been urinating in the house today.

Customer Question

Hi. My 10 year old dog has been urinating in the house today. She did it right in front of me and isn't letting me know she has to go. She urinated 3 times this way. She has a little diarrhea and also vomited once. Her last visit, her protein in her urine was higher than normal, but has been eating well, sleeping well, and going to the bathroom fine until today.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She has horners syndrom, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It looks like the veterinarian you were hoping to speak with is unavailable, so the website has opened your question to other experts so you can get the fastest response. I need some additional info.

1) When was her urine last checked?
2) Is she currently on any medications? If so, what and how often?
3) When was her most recent lab work run?
4) When she urinates, does she squat to go or is she unaware of going and urinates while sitting, laying, etc?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1) about 4 weeks ago.
2) She is not on medication
3) Recent lab work only showed a little high protein.
4) She did squat right in front of me.

It would be worthwhile to have her urine checked again, this time to be sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection. If she weren't squatting in front of you, this could be an indication of bladder weakness and time to start her on a medication like Proin, but the presentation sounds more like a urinary concern. The increased protein could be an indication of kidney problems, which can cause secondary symptoms which involve the bladder. The possibility for this to be the problem also exists (it's likely that her BUN or CREA would have been elevated on this last check of her lab work, but this is referring to blood work and not just the urinary sample being tested, just to clarify). I would recommend taking her to your vet for another urinalysis. If this is a chronic problem for her, a urine culture may be needed to determine what antibiotics will work best for her.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time. If questions remain, reply and I will help you further.