Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our dog found and ate some Pro-Pectalin tablets; not sure

Customer Question

Our dog found and ate some Pro-Pectalin tablets; not sure how many, but perhaps as many as 20.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie: she is a small labradoodle (about 25-30 #)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?
Customer: No; she is currently acting okay.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Text is okay

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Pro-Pectalin tablets are liver flavoured and so very attractive to dogs but the good news is that they are not toxic as such as their active constituent is just Kaolin and Pectin and they also have some probiotic type element as well. This is really more of a nutritional supplement than a drug so as such it has a very high margin of safety in dogs but it may cause some degree of constipation over the next 48 hours but this not likely to be too serious.

2. However if you want to take every possible precaution then where a dog has ingested a drug of any sort not intended for it one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Labradoodle is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning he Pro-Pectalin tablets ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott