PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Yesterday he started getting very lethargic and wouldn't

Customer Question

Yesterday he started getting very lethargic and wouldn't eat. He was up in the evening, drank a little water and played with a toy. But since going to bed for the night, he's only been laying and won't get up on his own. I fed him some baby food meat from a spoon and water out of my hand. He seems fine in all other respects. Ears perk up when I mention "outside" or "treat". Tail wags when someone comes in the room. But he just won't budge. He had some horrible gas yesterday too, and the day before, a little loose stool. Not diarrhea, just a little loose. And his tummy is gurgling occasionally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** we think he's between 4 and 5. American Eskimo. Shelter dog. The vet said he was older than 1 but no older than 2 when we got him in the early fall of 2013
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kramer?
Customer: Just that he's very strong willed and picky. Even when he's well, if I try to put him on his feet and he doesn't want to stand, he'll dead-weight and flop down like his legs are made of rubber. That's why this concerns me. I don't know if he just feels like crap and doesn't want to get up, or if there's really a serious problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Good evening, Lori. Can you answer a few questions for me?

1) Is Kramer on any medications currently?
2) Any vomiting?
3) Any blood in the stool?
4) What does his normal diet consist of?
5) Any human food?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No meds. No vomiting. No blood in stool. Normal diet is Blue Mt pet food - mostly wet. Occasional chicken or turkey mixed with rice - cooked with no salt or additives of any kind.

First things first, it doesn't sound like he's in a critical state or in need of emergent care overnight so long as his symptoms don't change.

The gurgling of his stomach can indicate early symptoms of a GI upset, so you may be picking up on those "impending" signs of problems before they've actually become a problem. It won't hurt to give a dose of pepcid to help with the soft stool that you've seen and help cut down on the acid in his stomach which is probably making him uncomfortable. Info here: https://www.petcarerx.com/medication-guides/famotidine-for-pet-stomach-ulcers/1116?page=all

If the symptoms continue into tomorrow, I would contact your vet who will probably want to see him for a physical exam and potentially some lab work. If he has a history of a tender stomach, it wouldn't be a bad idea to run a pancreatic lipase during this physical to be sure that he's not experiencing a case of pancreatitis. In some dogs, we see low grade symptoms for a prolonged period of time and in others it's more overt and sudden. If he will continue to eat the baby food, keep on with that unless vomiting should start. If it does, pull up food and water and keep an eye out for progression. Vomiting, bloody in the stool (diarrhea or otherwise), etc. are signs that are pressing and most definitely mean he needs to be seen tomorrow. If these start and you can, I'd have him seen this evening. Otherwise, keep going with the little bits of food and monitor his stools if/when he goes outside.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated by the website. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you very much!! He definitely is a picky eater and extremely strong-willed. Even when he's not ill, if I try to get him to stand and his feet and he's just not in the mood, he will dead-weight and his legs turn to rubber. So it's extremely hard to tell if he's actually sick or hurting - or just being his stubborn self. He seems fine in all respects - and my be loving the added attention of being hand fed/watered. But I will touch base with our vet tomorrow. I just wanted to know if you felt the need for an emergency trip to the animal hospital. Of course, i would in a second if needed, but I'd feel a little silly - and much poorer - if I ran him in on a Sunday night for a tummy ache! Thanks again. Enjoy the rest of your evening! ~Lori & Kramer

Believe me, Lori, you would not be the only owner!! Many of them have us trained just like they like us and I've seen 2am vet visits for everything from a slightly broken toe nail to a tick to a "spontaneous tumor" that turned out to be a nipple. You're in good company!