Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a 14 year old lab who ate a pig ear last night after

Customer Question

Hi there. I have a 14 year old lab who ate a pig ear last night after our walk, she was fine, and then began to have "panting," late last night. She is still panting, I have offfered her water, she drank , I took her outside this morning and she went to the bathroom. Her stomach is somewhat bloated. She has had similir issues in the past with raw hide bones. I am not near an emergecy vet, I am wondering what I could or should do.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She did urinate and deficate this morning.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

THis may be a minor digestive disturbance caused by this pig ear and the treatment for this is as follows:

Fast your gal for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If she is feeling better, wean her back to her regular diet. If the bloating continues, give her a Gas X, available at the pharmacy over the counter and another Gas X within 30 minutes. My fear is that she may be have a Gastric volvulous that causes her stomach to twist and if this is the case, this is an emergency and MUST be seen by a vet immediately. This would ONLY be if teh bloating continues and she starts dry heaves.

In most cases, this treatment is successful and your gal will be fine. The panting is caused by discomfort so if this does not resolve with this treatment., find an ER vet to examine her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** concerned with the stomach twisting, however, there has been no vomitting or trying too. I apprectiat your answer and I will administer the medication. We hardly give raw hide or pig ears, but she picked it out at the pet store yesterday, I am regrettign the choice.

You are very welcome and the signs of the twisted stomach are quite noticable. It appears to me that your gal has a minor digestive disturbance and will most likely respond to this treatment.

Good luck!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta