Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog just woke us up with a small yelp around 5:30am. I

Customer Question

Our dog just woke us up with a small yelp around 5:30am. I noticed him limping slightly on his right front paw. Upon closer examination I noted the one nail bed is swollen (see picture). I used a tissue to check for blood but didn't see any. He didn't enjoy me touching the paw either. He was perfectly fine all day and night.The 24 hour clinics near us have the worst reviews I've ever seen but I'm afraid the infection could be bad and he won't make it to Monday morning!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing any discharge/pus from it?

Any odor fro it?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Since I didn’t hear back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts about your Chomper’s toe.

Based on the photo, this looks more like soft tissue inflammation around the nail bed as opposed to active infection. I suspect he caught the nail and the yank has lead to the swelling we are seeing.

In this case, we’d want to rest him over the weekend and prevent him licking the area (since often that is how infection starts) by either placing an e-collar or keeping it covered with a sock. To keep infection away, we can try soaking the foot (since that is easier to do then just one toe) in salt water (you can use table salt or Epsom salt) twice daily. We will want to dry the foot afterwards and again prevent licking.

Finally, as long as there has been no bleeding, he has no health issues, and isn’t on any other medication; you can consider using a low dose of buffered aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin) . Of course, with this use a low dose and only give after food. Any signs of stomach upset and we’d need to hold off on this.

Overall, this wouldn’t be considered an emergency situation and based on your photo looks more like soft tissue inflammation then infection. So, we can use the above now and monitor over the weekend. If it doesn’t settle by Monday, then it’d be ideal to have a check with his regular vet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HelloI did not receive an email for the first questions you asked.There is nothing coming from it that we can tell. He really doesn't want us to touch it. We do not smell anything either.We put a cone on him right away, around 6am, because he was licking it.If he "caught the nail and yanked", will the nail need to be removed?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just went to look at it again and there's some dry blood. I'm guessing it's because he will not lay still. He wants to keep moving around the house. The blood seems like it was coming from where the nail attaches. We don't think it is bleeding now though.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

No worries if you didn't, I am glad that I could at least give you some information based on what I could see. And that is great to hear that there is no odor or pus, since again this doesn't look infected. So, we can use the supportive care I noted (and the Aspirin is fine to use if you wish with just that scant blood).

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** term treatment, if he didn't break the nail or partly remove it from the nail bed, then it won't need to be removed and we'd just need to use supportive care. But if he remains tender with it by the time his vet is open, then it is worth a check to make sure there are no breaks that would require its removal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ashley,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chomper. How is everything going?
nekovet