Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

It started with her skin all over turning real pink and her

Customer Question

it started with her skin all over turning real pink and her paws blood red, started licking them a lot and she makes loud licking sounds like she has thick saliva through her mouth. her eating has gone down and over the past week all she wants to do is sleep. this is a 9yr old female shih Tzu. pure bread. I've been to our vets office 3 times over past month. Dr. Sinner says it's allergies and charges me another $100 with some pills and a spray. Not working. Spray is Betagen and the pills were a antibiotic forget brand. I'm visiting in Redding ca. and can't raise a vet until Monday morning which is above and beyond animal care, If you can really help I'll talk with you. I just can't afford to pay for any more advice and these vet bills if it doesn't help my little girl Paisley
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Paisley. The Veterinarian's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I'm thinking it's time for someone to do some blood work or what ever it takes to make Paisley happy and healthy. I just now put her on the floor to go get a drink and she acts wobbly while walking
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paisley?
Customer: about one and a half years ago she had bladder surgery. her bladder was full of some kind of crystals but no problems since. she's very active until this started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not much better off than I was, my little shih Tzu surly isn't. I need to leave now, will check back in a while
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

HI there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.

I definitely agree that it's time for them to look a bit deeper than just giving you a spray and some antibiotics.

As someone who lives with an allergy dog herself, I can completely understand how frustrating it can be when you're trying to figure out what is causing your dog to be so miserable.

With my pup, I had my vet do VARL testing (more info here: http://www.varlallergy.com/ ), which determined exactly what he was allergic to (turns out he's allergic to ragweed and a specific type of pollen), which made it easier to control his contact with the items he's allergic to. As a side note...many, many, many dogs are highly allergic to corn and corn products, so it could very well be that if any of the dog foods or dog treats you're using contain corn, that could be part of Paisley's problem.

We also began using the medication Atopica (more info here: http://www.atopica.com/ ), which helped control his itching and made him a happier guy. Atopica is sort of the 'big gun', and once we got my dog's allergies under control, we were able to switch to Temaril P instead (which is less expensive and it only takes 1/4 tablet once a day to keep my dog's allergies in check). There's also an injectable allergy medication on the market called Apoquel, which works really well, but because it's so popular, it tends to run out of stock with some regularity.

If this were me that's where I'd start with Paisley.

I Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry but I know about corn and a 1000 other products that can cause allergies, and have been dropping most everything to get a handle on what's causing the problem, had her on Claritin clear then Benadryl (vets request) with little or no help and now all she wants to do is sleep, she's been off the allergy meds for a while so its not them knocking her out, it must be something else she's just to sick for it to be. I took a chance here looking for help telling the first person not to waste my money on what I've already heard. No you were no help but then I lost confidence when you said you took your dog to your vet
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

I'll opt out.