Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My German Shepard grey wolf hybrid is about 7 and has always

Customer Question

My German Shepard grey wolf hybrid is about 7 and has always had hard rapid breathing when stressed but the last couple of days it seems pretty constant. I also found what I am pretty sure is a fatty tumor on her rib cage. Breathes per minute at 42 resting. We just took her in for a tooth extraction and cyst removal and she did fine with the anesthesia and her blood work was ok. Is this normal or are we off to the vet again? We think she was abused and is terrified of the vet. We just adopted her in November
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Fiona, once the respiratory rate exceeds 40 breaths/minute at rest, careful auscultation of her heart and lungs as well as X-rays of those areas are important diagnostics. A fatty tumor shouldn't be incriminated in her tachypnea (increased respiratory rate). Her history of recent well-tolerated anesthesia and normal blood work are positive prognostic factors but persistent tachypnea is always worrisome. Cardiopulmonary disorders predominate but we also see tachypnea in association with metabolic acidosis (low blood pH) which can arise secondary to a multitude of metabolic disorders.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.