Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Female pug about 4 years old has a strong smelling dark

Customer Question

Female pug about 4 years old has a strong smelling dark almost brown urine. She drinks lots of water She is not fixed It that an indication of an infection?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If the urine is so dark to be almost brown, it may indicate blood in the urine. Your girl likely has a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so she can get medication for the problem since she is already displaying possible blood in the urine and a strong odor to the urine.

I am assuming you have checked to be sure she is not in heat. Signs of heat would be a swollen vulva and male dogs being drawn to her. Since it is Saturday, you might try and have the vet take a quick look. Generally if a dog is eating and drinking and eliminating a UTI isn't an emergency unless the dog is unable to urinate at all.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.