Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog either ingested something or may have scratched the

Customer Question

My name is***** dog either ingested something or may have scratched the back of his throat. He is breathing fine but is randomly hacking and producing a white flem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Boston terrier age 1 1/2 ...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, Gail. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now based on your lad's signs, we do have a few concerns. Ingestion of something abrasive (even hard kibble going down wrong) can certainly cause the signs you are seeing. That said, we can also see this with brewing upper airway infections (ie Parainfluenza, Bordetella, etc). So, we need to tread with care.

Now if he has only just starting showing signs and they are mild, we can try to soothe his throat at this stage. To start, you can try a mild cough suppressant. Pet safe options we often use are Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed.
Alternatively, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similar syrups with pet toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce throat irritation and coughing for him. As well, if we are concerned about possible throat irritation, then do make sure to keep him on soft foods or soak his kibble before feeding.

So, we do have a few concerns for this coughing but if it has just started then we can try the above to soothe any benign irritation lurking. Of course, if he doesn't settle, then we'd want to have a check with his vet in case we need antibiotics to clear this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)