Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

She is having a problem going number 2 she is miniature

Customer Question

she is having a problem going number 2 she is miniature dashound
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: as I said she is holding her tail between her legs she not moving around much she is wining
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: kloe she is 5
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: kloe
JA: Huh?
Customer: chloe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: she has been fixed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

When was the last time Kloe had a bowel movement and was it normal?

Is she walking around with an arched back?

Is she jumping on furniture or as playful as normal running , climbing steps etc?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yesterday alittle bit no she just laying around
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. So here are the concerns. IF it is constipation then you can give her a teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin, say twice a day. This is a fiber and will help her move her bowels. You can also give metamucil but pumpkin is a bit more natural.

What would be a concern with this breed is a disc issue. This can pop up at any time. What happens is the tissue the cushions the nerve that runs through the disc hardens and presses in the nerve causing Pain. You will see her have difficulty with walking, seeming to walk drunk, not wanting to do normal activities.

You can try giving her plain aspirin (not tylenol or ibuprofen) just a baby aspirin tonight and tomorrow and make sure she gets strict rest. Bring her water and food to her or put it in her crate and keep her there.

If the dog suddenly stops using the rear legs it is an emergency

If there is no improvement I would see the Vet for a more appropriate medication as Aspirin can cause ulcers . so it should only be used two days tops. Let your vet know you have used aspirin and how much.

I will direct you to links on aspirin use http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Metamucil/dosing http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/psyllium-metamucil-etc/page1.aspx

Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Also check her gums and make sure they are not white or pale as this too would be an emergency. Take her temperature rectally. Normal is between 100.5 and 102.5