Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My name is ***** *****. My son's 19 lb. dog ate the tip off

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** *****. My son's 19 lb. dog ate the tip off of one match stick. She is throwing up and has a BM that looked black like tar. My son thinks there was a little blood in it but cannot be sure.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm on the phone with my son right now. That's about all the information I have. He is saying that there were red specks in her spit-up. He is saying that she also got ate some soup, chicken and rice. I asked him if there was any onion or garlic in the soup and he said "probably". She ate soup that was spilled on the floor, about about 3/4 C. They're saying it looks like there is blood in her vomit.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: I sent the link to my son so that he can communicate with you directly. Thank you, Lisa.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

Is the dog up to date on vaccines?

How long has it been sick?

How old is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sky is about 10 months old. She is up to date on vaccines. She has been sick from this episode since about 5 or 6 AM this morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is outside eating grass right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said she only ate the tip off of one wood match stick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said she could have eaten it as long as 25 hours or so ago.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I'm not worried about the match stick, but I am worried about the possibility of onion toxicity from the soup.

Onions can be very toxic to dogs, and because it's based on sensitivity, one dog may not get sick at all from it, but others may get violently ill and it takes a couple days for the signs to show up.

You can read more about onion toxicity here: http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Pets-and-Onions.aspx

At this point, there's nothing that your son can do at home to treat her. The absolute best thing for him to do is to have Sky seen by an emergency vet. If he's not sure where one is, he can go here: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in his zip code and they'll point him in the direction of the one nearest to him.

At the emergency vet, they'll get some blood work done on Sky to make sure that her kidneys aren't being affected, and will get her on some fluids to flush her system and give her some medications to get the vomiting and diarrhea to stop.

I hope she does well.