Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 10 year old dachshund male started to walk hunched over

Customer Question

My 10 year old dachshund male started to walk hunched over yesterday evening. He is eating & drinking fine and walking up and down his puppy stairs to get on couch. He chased after the cat yesterday also, but remains hunched over. Seems to have some slight pain, but not much. Is acting more quiet than usual. Tail still wagging and barking like normal. I wondered if he could have sprained his back?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds just checked
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Wiener Dog is his name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wiener?
Customer: nothing that I can think of right now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

There is usually only a few reasons for a dog to walk in a hunched over manner including a disc issue in the back, an anal gland issue, or abdominal pain. As you seem to know with a disc issue, you might see a dog avoid stairs and jumping but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a disc problem. Let me give you a site on disc issues in dachshunds.

http://www.doxierescue.com/IVDD_Signs___Symptoms.html

A dog with an anal gland issue will often also walk with a hunched back to avoid pulling the skin around the rectum. They usually will also hold the tail down. You will want to check to see if your dog's anus is swollen. This may cause a dog to continue to lick the area, possibly drag it The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2Zm-KwKy4

Abdominal pain is also a cause for a hunched back. Things like stomach ached and pancreatitis will often cause this posture. Usually your dog would probably not want to eat if they had abdominal pain so bad it made them hunched , so this doesn't seem like a likely cause either.

Given his breed, I'd try and get him in to see your vet for a quick checkup.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?