Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dogs eye is red and he keeps rubbing it i the snow. I

Customer Question

My dogs eye is red and he keeps rubbing it i the snow. I washed it with warm water but wonder if I could give her antibotic eye drops or a azithromycin. I am poor and can't afford to take him to vet until first of the month
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Eye?
Customer: Sadie is 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eye?
Customer: it sags on the bottom so you can see the inside when she looks sometimes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It is possible that she may have gotten something in the eye or rubbed an ulcer on the cornea. If all you have is sterile antibiotic eye ointment (NO STEROIDS IN IT!), then that shouldn't harm anything. I would try getting some saline eye rinse first, though, and rinsing the eye out with that. If the eye starts to look worse, though, I wouldn't hesitate to get her to the vet sooner. If there is an ulcer, and it continues to get worse, it can affect vision. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.