Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Nothing Yet. I heard her knocking something around and found

Customer Question

Nothing Yet. I heard her knocking something around and found an empty vial of Humalog. I'm not sure if she ingested any or it just spilled.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Boo is a 6 month old 37 Lb Black Mouth Cur
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boo?
Customer: I gave her her "Ice Cream" which is plain yogurt, Banana and peanut butter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

The good news is that oral ingestion of any kind of injectable insulin like Humalog isn't something to be terribly worried about. The insulin is broken down by the acids and enzymes in the stomach, just like anything else the dog would eat normally.

That being said....monitor Boo for things like sluggishness, lethargy, problems with coordination or anything else that would signify that she absorbed some of the insulin. If you see that, you can give her some honey or karo/maple syrup to correct that, but it's very unlikely that you're going to see any problems here.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa