Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Yorkshire terrier, age 7 - has always used s rubber ball &

Customer Question

Yorkshire terrier, age 7 - has always used his rubber ball for play & to rev himself up before eating; he needs to have the ball beside his dish as he eats. After 7 yeas, ball has been taken away because parents were advised by a third part that it would stop him from being so crazed by ball. He now has not eaten for 1-1/2 days & looks all day for his ball. My question - is this causing more stress on the dog since it has been his security for most of his life or is this a step to .... What, I don't know. I would appreciate your opinion.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. That ball was most likely Kingston's security. He had been so attached to it for 7 years, that I have no doubt it is causing him stress. If they wanted to take the ball away from him in order to keep him more calm, it should have been done many years ago. It is too late to do that now. I would give the ball back to the Kingston, and hopefully he will start eating again. If he doesn't, then he definitely needs to see a vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kingston. How is everything going?
Dr. John