Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****, my dog needs a nasal scope she has

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****, my dog needs a nasal scope she has been on steroids and strong antibiotic for 6 months and nothing has helped. Can she be treated for aspergillosis with just a diagnosis from lab of her nasal discharge or does she need a scope.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes in August of last year she started to cough and have discharge from her nose. We too her to a local vet who did X-rays and found nothing. Her liver count was elevated. We brought her upstate to a country vet they did throat scop and put her for months on extremely expensive antibiotic and steroids. She was a little better but now worse again. She coughs and has discharge. Still eats and has good energy. She is 5 year old Scottish terrier. The doctor said we need to go for expensive nasal scope. Camera up nose 1500. She has been on farm and walks wher she stops to smell and I think she may have aspergillosis. They will not treat her for fungus. We don't know what to do. I was going to go to health food store for homeopathic remedy,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The diagnosis of the nasal form of aspergillosis is confirmed when fungal hyphae can be demonstrated histologically (by biopsy) within nasal tissue, both deseased and healthy, and/or when at least two of the following three criteria are fulfilled: positive Aspergillus fungal culture, positive serum titer for A. fumigatus, and supportive imaging (radiographic/computed tomographic (CT) findings.

A Scottish terrier isn't a breed we would associate with nasal aspergillosis which is more common in dolichocephalic (long-nosed) dogs. Please don't waste your money on unproven homeopathic remedies. Your most expedient and cost-effective manner in which to clarify why she suffers from these respiratory symptoms is to have her scoped and biopsied. A specialist veterinary internist (please see here: www.acvim.org) should be consulted. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.