Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 8 year old maltese started flinching when I reached and

Customer Question

My 8 year old maltese started flinching when I reached for her and wouldn't come to me. She sat under a sofa table huddled next to the sofa. I picked her up and had her lie next to me on the couch. She went to sleep but would occasionally lift her head and flinch a few times before going back to sleep. This lasted about two hours. Now she just seems a bit "off"; she's not energetic as she usually is. She drank some water and went to her crate to sleep. I've never seen this behavior in her before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kaya.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kaya?
Customer: She has a couple teeth that need to be pulled due to decay but my vet didn't want to put her through the stress of anesthesia because he believes she has a heart murmur.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

Do you know if your dog could have gotten into anything?

Marijuana?

Moldy food or garbages?

Medications/ other drugs?