Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My boston terrier has GERD. s spincter doesn't close

Customer Question

My boston terrier has GERD. His spincter doesn't close completely so he vomits his food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your boston terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, he was tested for megaesphogas but he doesn't have that
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the boston terrier's name and age?
Customer: Milo and he will be two in May.
JA: How old is Milo?
Customer: He will be 2 in May.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milo?
Customer: He's takes Reglan everyday and I'm at my wits end.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

While he may not have megaesphogas, some of the same techniques used for megaesphogas may help stop or lessen the incidents of vomiting.

Id try and keep his front elevated for 10-15 minutes after eating as well as when he is eating. You can get a set of narrow stairs and put the bowl at the top so he has to eat with his front elevated. It can be tricky to keep the front elevated afterwards, but taking the time to maybe pet or massage his front after eating may keep the food down in the stomach long enough to keep it from coming back up. That is one thing that can help.

You should also experiment with different consistencies of food. Some do better with almost a liquid consistency and others a semi liquid or softened food. Feeding a high calorie diet in small portions throughout the day is also recommended. Perhaps supplement with Nutrical would help as well.

There are a few different drugs that may be effective. One is Metoclopramide which you are already using and can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/metoclopramide-hcl-reglan/page1.aspx

Another drug is Cisapride, you may want to ask your vet whether this drug would help in your dog's particular case if the reglan isn't helping much. Hopefully your vet has also suggested a probiotic as well such as fortiflora. See if the elevation helps and perhaps the change in meds and probiotic. It may take a little time for the probiotics to help but the elevation should help pretty quickly. Be sure to feed high calorie, small meals more frequently.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.