Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5 month old cockapoo ate about half a roll of spree

Customer Question

my 5 month old cockapoo ate about half a roll of spree candy. she weighs about 11 pounds. will she be sick or die?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Penny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: we've only had her for about a month and are taking her to get her last set of shots next week. otherwise she is healthy and active - still working on house breaking
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she have this?

What was the grams/ounces of the roll?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She weighs about 10.5 pounds. She ate the candy about 3 hours ago. She probably ate about 3/4 of an ounce of the candy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

While awaiting your reply, I have been reviewing the ingredients of these sweets and there is nothing dog toxic in these. If anything they could cause some stomach upset (vomiting,appetite loss, diarrhea). Since it has been 3 hours and we aren't facing a toxicity situation, the best option here would be to initiate supportive care to offset any stomach upset. To do so, you can start her on a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if she should any signs of nausea, then we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, it is quite a bit of sugar that Penny has had but there is nothing toxic here. So, we can all breathe a sigh of relief and just monitor +/- manage any stomach upset we may see.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)