Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Desi, my dog ( just made one) has lumps on s nose. 2 of

Customer Question

desi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my dog ( just made one) has lumps on his nose. 2 of them. We just noticed. Although I noticed he has been trying to scratch his nose earlier this evening. I don't know if it stated when we had him outside running. mY daughter noticed he kept opening his mouth.... that was 5 hrs ago. Then he had tuna 4 hrs ago.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
his eye lids are swollen too.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do the lumps look like bites? Any wounds around them?

Any risk of snakes or poisonous spiders in your area?

Any changes or swelling in the mouth?

Any changes to his breathing?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will take a picture... no snakes in Hawaii, still swollen... his eye lids are swollen, and hes trying to scratch his mouth area. Breathing seems to be the same. He jumps up when he thought I left, and tail wagged when I came back in the house. no wounds around them... that I can see
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

I am glad to hear that we can rule out snakes here and if you can post a photo that would be grand.

Otherwise, I could note that this all sounds highly suspicious of an allergic reaction. With it being on his face, we'd be most wary of this being something he has stuck his nose in or a possible spider/insect bite. In that case, we can start him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if he has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if this doesn't settle, then we'd need his local vet to check this and use injectable steroids to settle the reaction.

Overall, this sounds like an allergic reaction. So, do please post your photo if you can but otherwise we may need to start antihistamines to help settle this for him.

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know if he has past issues. He is a rescue dog. He was found abused and abandoned. He seems to be ok so far. Benadryl, like the kids kind? syrup? or a pill form? Im still trying to send the picture.... not working so far
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

That is fair enough, as long as he hasn't ongoing health issues and is on medication then we can try that. Otherwise, you can used the syrup or the pill, it just depends what is easiest for you to administer and his weight (since the liquid is quite low dose and would take quite a bit for larger dogs). So, either is fine.

In regards ***** ***** photo, you can post it on any site and just paste the link here if you are struggling.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sick boo is the pic tonight
the other "good boo" is when he was good.
he is 11 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

The photo is quite small, but he does look a bit puffy and inflamed there. Therefore, it'd be worth trying him with an antihistamine now. If he is 11lbs, then we can use 5.5-22mg for him. So, you could use either preparation to give a dose in that range. You can also start at the lower end but increase if you don't see this settling over the next few hours.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will rate. :) thank you for your time. One more question. I live on Maui. everything closes at 9. Lame, but I cant get to meds for another 5 hrs. is that a problem? I can, it just takes mins to drive there. *its 1232 am*
thank you for your help. This is my "baby" and im going crazy right now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome,

It would be preferable if you can, since the sooner we treat the sooner we should see the irritation/swelling settle and the sooner he will be more comfortable. Though as long as he isn't experiencing breathing issues, its not an emergency and can theoretically wait if needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you... thank you thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry.. baby Benadryl or adult
11 lbs.... 1 year 1 month old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Either is fine to use, its just whichever you find easiest to split and give. If you use the adult (25mg), you can split that in half to give a mid range dose to him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)