Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog is a central Asian shepherd, last Wednesday she was

Customer Question

Our dog is a central Asian shepherd, last Wednesday she was taken to the vet because she couldn't keep her food down, she was put on antibiotics, anti nausea tablets, she hasn't pooped except for a few little poops around Saturday.
We have been giving her chicken with rice withe sunflower oil (over a table spoon worth) with every meal.
Should we be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she is eating an easily digestible diet and had been vomiting until recently, then her delay in stool isn't a major worry provided she isn't in discomfort or straining to go. In any case, we can give her a little hand to move that stool along. Now sunflower oil isn't great since its quite digestible. That means it won't last in the gut very long and therefore is of limited use as a GI lubricant. Therefore, instead, try adding a dose of cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) or a small volume of Miralax, lactulose or mineral oil to her food daily. Since the gut doesn't digest these, they tend to work better and hopefully will get things moving in her GI for you.

Further to that, you can also add a fiber supplement to her diet to help push her stool through. Often we will add a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, or even a 0.5 tsp of unflavored Metamucil or Benefiber to their food. Each of these help with fecal regularity and can just help push stool through and get it passed. So, those would be our ideal steps here and we'd want to see some stool in the next 24-48 hours.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Trish,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Anna. How is everything going?
nekovet