Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12 pound shih tzu just ate my border collie's metacam and

Customer Question

My 12 pound shih tzu just ate my border collie's metacam and gabapentin. The dosages are much too large for him. I'm not sure what to do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Could those dosages be fatal for such a small dog? Gabapentin 100 mg, meloxicam 1.875 mg
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on the information you have provided, this is a 18mg/kg dose of Gabapentin + 0.3mg/kg dose of Metacam. The Gabapentin is actually in the normal dosing range for his size (though high). Therefore, we'd only really expect to see GI upset +/- sedation with this as it runs its course. Otherwise, the Metacam is actually an overdose. It is a mild one but it can carry the risk of stomach upset and in some cases stomach ulcers.

With all this in mind, we'd want to offset any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and give the stomach acid something to chew on besides the stomach wall.
Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, the Gabapentin dose is high but within the range we use in dogs. Therefore, we could see the above side effects but expect no long term harm. Otherwise, the Metacam is a bit high and we'd be wary of it causing bother. So, we can use the above to help offset the GI signs but otherwise would monitor for the next 24 hours. Of course, if he seems poorly with the above signs or very sedate, then you can have your vet start IV fluids to flush these out quicker for your lad.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet