Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a 3 wk old puppy and it is a runt and I'm bottle

Customer Question

I have a 3 wk old puppy and it is a runt and I'm bottle feeding her but she coughing and gagging and coughing up Cleae and green flem what can I give her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I've been breeding rottweilers for over 20 years so I'm very familiar with puppies and their care.

Unfortunately, you are not going to like my response. Often when you bottle feed pups, the formula flows too quickly and ends up in the respiratory passage and being aspirated into the lungs leading to aspiration pneumonia. A green discharge would indicate infection in the respiratory system. It is important that you have her seen by a vet as soon as possible so that antibiotics can be given and the extent of the problem diagnosed. They may do x-rays. You should be prepared in case they determine it is unlikely the pup will survive.

If you have been seeing milk in her nostrils at all then aspiration pneumonia is a good possibility. I'd try to have her seen as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep her in an area where she can move on and off of a heating pad covered by a towel and set on low. It may help keep her warm. Be sure there are no drafts where she is and monitor her during the night. I wished there was something you could do at home, but at this point she needs antibiotics at a minimum.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/