Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My lab is 10+ yrs old. Over the past two years he has lost s

Customer Question

My lab is 10+ yrs old. Over the past two years he has lost his hearing. Just recent, the last 45 days or so, he whines himself to sleep. It usually lasts 15-30 minutes. I've taken him to the vet and tried him on pain meds in case his bad leg is causing him pain. No change with the pain meds. There have been no environmental changes that I can think of. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are no other issues with him. Appetite is fine. He seems happy other than at night.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Often when a dog loses their hearing they will start vocalizing in an attempt to "hear" themselves. I suspect this is what he is doing as whining produces a vibration that he may still be able to feel and thus reassures him. What I would suggest you try is a kong with treat compartment. Fill it with xylitol free peanut butter or yogurt and freeze it. Give it to him at bed time. He will be busy licking the treat out and that wshould preven the whining at least until the humans are asleep.

You might also try adding something that vibrates to the room. This isn't as easy as it sounds. I've used small fans placed on the floor since they tend to vibrate. Often the vibration helps calm a deaf dog though that same vibration may irritate some people. Give these suggestions a try and let me know if you see any improvement.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Hi Al,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hudson. How is everything going?