Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our dig drank salt water today and vomited on the way home.

Customer Question

Hi our dig drank salt water today and vomited on the way home. She drank a lot of fresh water when we got home but is struggling for air occasionally. Otherwise she is calm and breaths normal. Do we need to take her to a vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

In general, simply allowing salt-poisoned dogs to free drink fresh water will suffice to normalize them. I am concerned about "...struggling for air occasionally". Can you be more specific, please? "Calm and breaths normal", however, is a positive prognostic finding. I also need you to assess Mila's respiratory rate at rest. She should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest. Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was experiencing shortness of breath for few minutes, trying to breathe in and her whole body was contracting but now is calm and she is at about 34 breaths/minute.

Thank you for the additional information. Because she has remissed so quickly I'll consider that behavior to be benign. It sounds like reverse sneezing which arises secondary to inflammation in the oropharynx or nasopharynx (back of the throat). I don't see the need for a vet visit. I believe that Mila is going to do nicely.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.