PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

If my dog eats pack rat droppings (that have not been

Customer Question

if my dog eats pack rat droppings (that have not been poisoned), will he get sick or worse?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: there were droppings on the wood from our wood pile...and I saw them this morning....on the carpet near the wood that we brought in last night...he was eating something from the floor...when i went over to investigate, I saw some droppings on the floor. We have pack rats in our wood pile outside....
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Good morning, thanks for your question.

Your dog is unlikely to acquire anything major from this type of fecal consumption. The amount of feces available will likely be pretty small in comparison to the size of your dog. Intestinal parasites in rats tend to be tapeworm and pinworms. Pinworms are likely to affect your dogs are they are typically picky about their hosts. If your dog were to acquire tapeworms from this consumption, weeks or months down the line you might see proglottids on the stool or rectum. These look like pieces of white rice, sometimes they move in an "inch worm" pattern. A dewormer containing praziquantel can be used to rid your companion of the parasites, at that time.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time with each customer. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.