Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Our Bichon Frise (4yrs 9mths) has been neutered because of

Customer Question

Hi Jane, our Bichon Frise (4yrs 9mths) has been neutered because of prostrate problems four days ago but is acting really weird from being an attention seeker and close to us as his owners, to a dog that wants to hide and keep his distance from us. He is going in to the back of our sofa's and then straight back out turns around to go back in, this happening constantly, plus he can't seem to settle down. He has been eating well but now he won't listen to our call for his food and is not bothered to eat. He is no longer our affectionate little boy, this upsetting us both and we are concerned that he blames us for this procedure that was recommended by our vet. Please can you enlighten us. Many Thanks Julie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Julie, Jane is not online at this time and lasI I talked with her she was feeling ill. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the behavior/training field for 25 years. I am a Therapy dog evaluator, AKC CGc evaluator and I train service dogs.

Since this only happened four days ago I might get a Vet re-check if he is not eating and there is a total change in personality. Dogs will usually change like this if there is a health issue. They do not hold grudges, their mind is not geared like a humans to pout or be angry. They run on intelligence and instinct .

I am concerned something such as an infection may be going on inside or a disc issue as dogs will hide from owners when there are disc issues or when they are feeling ill. They usually do not want to be picked up or touched.

Try to keep the food and water near the couch so he can eat and drink until you can get a hold of your vet. I would also use your cell phone to video tape his actions so you can show your Vet as dogs rarely duplicate their actions in a vet office. I would want you to check the gums of Barkley, they should be nice and pink like bubblegum. If they are pale, or white seek emergency care. I would also like you to try to do a capillary refill test on the gums. Press a finger on the gums and release, the area will blanch to a lighter color then return to the color they are now. IF the returning to the color takes under 1 second or close to two seconds seek emergency care.

If possible take Barkley's temperature becuase a temp could indicate infection in the body. Look at the area of the surgery for swelling or even heat coming from that area.

I am going to direct you too a link that will take you through how to do the vital sigsn which will include temperature, capillary refill and heart rate/

What is Normal in dogs

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx