PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 6 year old female American bulldog. past few days

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 6 year old female American bulldog. For the past few days she's been drinking a ton of water and she hasn't been eating anything. Plus she seems to be having a hard time getting up and walking. I'm going to take her to the vet on monday. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with her? Is there anything I can do for her until I can get her to see the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Good morning, Rich. Thanks for your question.

I recommend to customers to keep doing what you're doing and not to add anything until you can see your vet. Some of the things that we do in an effort to improve our pet's situation can keep a vet from being able to appropriately diagnose and treat an original underlying medical issue.

The drinking of water is a high concern for diabetes, Cushing's disease and/or kidney issues. Sometimes we see this with urinary issues, as well. More info here: http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/my-dog-drinking-a-lot-water-polydipsia

The difficulty getting up may be secondary to a concern from the above paragraph, or may be age-related arthritis. Your vet will certainly want to get some baseline lab work before working up the pain, simply to be sure that they won't be causing more issues. For example, we want to avoid usage of steroids in a pet who has diabetes and most pain medications/NSAIDs are also contraindicated in organ compromise cases. Your vet may talk to you about doing x-rays to see what condition her joints are in. In larger dogs, arthritic changes onset earlier than in smaller dogs so it's common to expect this in a dog her size and age.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is how experts are compensated for their time. If questions remain, reply and I will help you further.