PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog ate a block of cat poison that was in the back of our

Customer Question

My dog ate a block of Tom cat poison that was in the back of our trash cabinet. What should we do
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

When was this consumed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Some time today while we were at work my wife just got home. I'm pulled over now bc we don't have cell service at our house
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are u therr

Because you don't know when it was consumed, the best way to address this is to take him to an ER vet. They will induce vomiting to clear any in his stomach, give him activated charcoal to keep his body from absorbing the contents that may have made it out of the stomach and usually this activated charcoal contains a non-absorbable sugar which causes them to evacuate their bowels (another effort to keep their body from absorbing the bait).

Unfortunately, the active ingredient in this type of rat bait causes neurological problems. There's more info here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/toxicity/c_multi_bromethalin_rodenticide_toxicity# The time it can take for symptoms to onset can be hours to weeks later, so immediate treatment and prevention is necessary.

If you wish to talk on the phone, just accept the phone call offer and I'll give you a call and we can talk further.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.