Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****. I am very worried about my 13 yr old

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I am very worried about my 13 yr old shih tzu. He has a growth on his eye that has grown to the point that it covers that eye. He can't really see now. Been to the vet but surgery is not a good option bc of cost and the fact that his heart and teeth are in bad shape. No one will groom him now so his face is covered. He smells so bad...I think its because of the infection in his eye. He is very lethargic and has been urinating around the house, including on couches. He never did that before.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think i pretty much covered it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It sounds as if your Shih Tzu's quality of life has deteriorated to the point at which having the final kindness performed should be considered. There are no conservative options for such a growth. His lethargy indicates that he's quite ill and his inappropriate urination suggests either a primary urinary tract disorder or his manner of telling you that he doesn't feel well.

Free now to run, jump and play

Or snooze in the shade on a sunny day

To sit for hours watching birds in the trees

Or to lie on the porch and enjoy the breeze

Free from sickness that made me weak

Restored to the dog that I was at my peak

You made the right choice for me my friend

Be at ease with yourself and let your heart mend

No more vets, shots or pill

And while you can't see me, I'm here with you still

For though you may think that we really did part

I'm there in your memories, I'm here in your heart

-------anonymous