Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a female husky in heat, her bleeding started very

Customer Question

I have a female husky in heat, her bleeding started very light and then it was dripping all over the place. Now it stopped and the male husky does not seem interested. He locks her and even mounts her but he does not hump her. Does the male need help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble breeding your Huskies. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

When did the bleeding first start with your female? Female dogs go into heat for about 21 days. They are most likely to stand, and be bred, only in the middle week, day 7 to 13 of the 21 days cycle. If her first bleeding was less than a week ago, it may be too soon to breed her and if it was more than 2 weeks ago, it may be too late.

Did your two Huskies grow up together, do you own both of them? Or did you take her to another male Husky just for breeding?

How old is the male, and is he experienced? If he is inexperienced, he may need help, if she is in "standing heat", ready to be bred ( day 7 to 13 of her heat).

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Can I help with anything else?