Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog is basically pooping water, and can't keep water down

Customer Question

My dog is basically pooping brown water, and can't keep water down after he drinks. He's thirsty, but can't keep it down. He is not hungry
JA: Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Russell and he is 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Russell?
Customer: He is a 10 pound JRT and a nervous dog. He follows me everywhere. He shakes for no apparent reason
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Russell has been ill - I'll do my best to help. When did this all start?

When I see dogs that are suddenly vomiting and having diarrhea but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me), intestinal parasites like whip, hook or round worm, or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). In older pets it could also be a sign of a whole body disease like kidney disease, liver disease, pancreatitis, or diabetes among many others. These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet. A bland diet of three parts boiled white rice to one part boiled chicken breast is a good place to start when reintroducing food after the initial fast for dogs who have diarrhea.

I'm not sure how long Russell has been sick - if it's been more than 24 hours that he can't keep anything down, then it's definitely time to call your vet to have him examined.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)