Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Tested my puppy and also had s feces tested both negative my

Customer Question

Tested my puppy for parvo and also had his feces tested for parasites both negative my puppy is five and a half weeks I have had him since he was 3 weeks gave him Enfamil the first night bought him puppy formula the next day he would not eat look up a Formula online confirmed it with the vet he said it was okay mixture consists of 10 oz evaporated milk 3 ounces of water egg yolk plain yogurt syrup made from sugar and water and mayonnaise was eating it fine noticed about two weeks later when puppy was almost 5 weeks old school started becoming watery did not know puppy needed water available assumed milk assumed milk was all he needed because if he was still with his mother he would only have mother's milk have been giving him pedia lite I bought and antibiotics prescribed by vet since last night using syringe with no needle also tried to feed him diatary food the vet gave me that he assured me my puppy would eat put on the roof of my dog's mouth as advised by the vet by the time he had eaten about a spoonful he threw it up have also been force feeding him water with a syringe as well puppy is still sleepy will not eat at all is often crying or sleeping now his feces is black and still watery I'm so scared for my puppy oh and also puppy was in a household with very much cannabis being smoked before I got him I was worried maybe he was having withdrawals don't know if dogs can have that so I exposed him to cannabis smoke a couple of hours ago hoping it would make him eat still no change I am so worried about my puppy I love him so much please help... I don't want him to die
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I understand your concern. It's important to recognize that fecal ova and parasite exams are too often falsely negative. The first order of business is to worm him with an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel pamoate in case occult parasitism exists. You can find these wormers in pet/feed stores. Avoid piperazine-containing wormers which aren't as effective. Your puppy is old enough to eat puppy food and so any force feeding should now be with a puppy food gruel. To lessen the chance of his vomiting, just an eyedropper at a time given every 30 minutes would be prudent. If he continued to vomit in spite of being wormed and given such infrequent feedings, you would have little choice but to ask for a prescription antiemetic drug from his vet. May I have an update on him, please?

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello Christine. I see you posted this message quite some time ago and I apologize for the late reply, I was on the site late last night and did not see your question posted.

Anyhow, this is Dr. Holloway but you may call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear about your sick puppy and I will do my best to advise you about what some possibilities are here and where I think we should go next with his care.

Ok first I would like to ask some questions for you.
What is the name of the antibiotic medication that he is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was dewormed at the vet I forgot to mention that and houses with a puppy food gruel
His fecies is also more watery, frequent and what looks like pink blood
The antibiotic is Metronidazole and also I did not realize it said to refrigerate so I gave it to him for the last day and a half and it wasn't refrigerated at all

Thank you for the additional information. His hematochezia (blood in the stool) suggests another parasite - either Giardia or coccidia. His vet can test for both or presumptively treat with fenbendazole and ponazuril, respectively. Fenbendazole is also available over the counter in pet/feed stores under the name Panacur. Three to five consecutive days of fenbendazole should suffice for Giardia. Ponazuril is a prescription drug, however.

Please clarify "houses" with a puppy food gruel. I don't know if refrigeration were necessary for sterility or stability purposes. Please consult his vet in that regard. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to writ how to you make puppy food gruel

Simply mix enough water into puppy food to make an easily administered gruel - a thinner version of a porridge that can be given with an eyedropper or small poulty baster between the cheek teeth and cheek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Feces has returned to a yellow color still has diarrhea but seems to be getting better showed interest in food today I think he's going to be OK thank you for all your help

What a good update! Thank you for letting me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He died yesterday when i was at work... I'm very sad I'm heartbroken I just wanted to give you an update

Oh my. My condolences for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.