Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My Golden Retriever puppy, Jake, has recently developed

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** ***** my Golden Retriever puppy, Jake, has recently developed intermittent loose stools, and very solid stools - almost as if he had what humans with irritable bowel syndrome experience. We did the elimination diet, and our vet tested his stool for worms (negative). We started him on grain-free feed, and he was better for awhile, but is now back to the same symptoms we started with. I'm wondering if it could be a serious problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Jake.

A few things to cover:

1. The fecal test for worms. You need to find out from your vet if the fecal test was sent out to a lab or done in the hospital. Sent out to the lab is more accurate. Also, ask if the fecal test included a giardia elisa. It is a more sensitive test for diagnosing giardia, which is hard to find.

2. The elimination diet. I do not consider a diet appropriate for food allergy elimination unless it is a prescription food. Over-the-counter foods will not be sufficient. Also, grain-free is overrated severely. Most food allergies are due to the protein not the carbohydrate.

My suggestion: Ask the vet for Royal Canin HP Hypoallergenic formula. It is well-balanced soy based hydrolyzed food. Excellent for ruling-out food allergies.

3. Start metronidazole. It is a great antibitoic for helping with intestinal problems and intermittent diarrhea. Also, quite safe at lower doses for long periods of time.

4. Stop all treats. Everything!

5. If none of the above having any impact, than possibly talk to the vet about doing a "fecal culture" test. This tests for other tests of bacterial problems in the stool.

6. Another test to consider for chronic diarrhea is EPI, Exocrine pancreatic Insufficiency, where the pancreas is not producing proper enzymes for digestion. It is somewhat common and frequently undiagnosed because vets forget about it as a differential for the diarrhea.

Hope that information helps

Good Luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?