Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My golden retriever is 12 years old she has a harsh cough

Customer Question

my golden retriever is 12 years old she has a harsh cough and now is throwing up mucus and cant move around without having to lay down
JA: Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: she isnt eating now either
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this, Winnie. Your golden's productive cough and exercise intolerance indicates advanced cardiopulmonary disease such as congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/sterile bronchitis, heartworm disease, or neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. Please don't hesitate to have her attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience. Her symptoms can be life threatening and time is of the essence. Her vet needs to thoroughly examine her including X-rays of her chest.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?