Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a one year old dachsund/chihuahua mix and about 20

Customer Question

I have a one year old dachsund/chihuahua mix and about 20 minutes ago I dropped a 10mg lisinopril tablet (for my blood pressure) on the floor and she ran over and swallowed it before I could get to her - I tried to quickly reach into her mouth/throat but she had swallowed it already. She weighs about 25 pounds... I am tempted to try a tablespoon or two of hydrogen peroxide but don't know if it's necessary considering it's a relatively low dose.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really at this time - I have been watching her for the past few minutes and she seems ok.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

I would induce vomiting with 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

The normal dose is 0.25-0.5mg/kg, and you are at about 1mg/kg.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

The most common clinical signs of overdose included: lethargy (24%), tachycardia (18%), vomiting (14%) and hypotension/low blood pressure (13%). If your dog does not vomit, I would monitor for any of these symptoms (low blood pressure could look like lethargy or not being able to stand or lift the head) and see your vet if any symptoms develop.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

If your dog has not vomited in 15mins, I would give a second dose of the peroxide. If your dog has not vomited at that time, just monitor for abnormal symptoms. The duration of action of this drug is about 24 hours, and the effects should taper off over time.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ann M.